Monday, December 15, 2008

my trip to melody records

on sunday december 14th 2008 i went to church in the district of columbia with jeffery pollack.
i had planned to stop by melody records on the way home to pick up a christmas gift for my sister and two compact discs for myself.
after a nice mass at st. augustine, i hopped on the yellow line at u street.
rode a couple stops and got off at chinatown to wait for a red line train to dupont circle, the location of melody records.
while waiting, a bespectacled, balding, 6'-2", portly, middle-aged man started talking to me.
he was wearing a large maroon parka, carried a satchel, and looked as if he could be related to jim gaffigan.

below i have transcribed a few excerpts from the conversation.
i wrote it in play format and was going to call this man's character "parka man" but i decided "creep" was more fitting.


creep: have you finished you christmas shopping yet?
me: going to pick up the last gift now.
creep: oh what are you getting?
me: maybe a cd for my sister.
creep: oh what does she listen to?
me: everything
creep: well that makes it easy.
me: yup

creep: i haven't done any of my christmas shopping.
me: good luck.
creep: yeah my brother's family is pretty affluent and i have no idea what to get them.
me: hmm

creep: your family must lavish you with gifts at christmas.
me: no, not really.

creep: so what do you want for christmas?
me: i don't know.
creep: c'mon you have to want something.
me: maybe a new suit.
creep: 38 regular
me: 38 long
creep: that means you're skinnier than models. models have to be 40 regular. it's good to be skinny... and long.
me: (no response)

creep: i'm moving in a month and i'll be able to walk to work.
me: that's good, i walk to work.
creep: oh what do you do?
me: i'm an architect.
creep: you could design your own house some day.
me: yup.
creep: think of all the cool things you could put it. energy saving appliances. 
me: probably
creep: bidets?
me: nope
creep: oh not your thing?
me: nope

creep: oh is this dupont already? glad you were paying attention. you know there are 6 starbucks at dupont circle? you have to be very specific if you are meeting someone for coffee.

getting off the train i saw my chance to get away.
he had one of those black brace/cast things on his foot so i assumed he couldn't move quickly.
i said "have a nice day" and cruised up the fast lane of the escalator.
when i got to the long escalator at dupont i didn't slow down.
even though it was moving (not temporarily stairs), i treated the escalator like stairs and stepped up all six thousand steps.
(dupont is really deep for those of you unfamiliar with dc.)
i reached the top and my legs were burning but at least i was free.

i set off to enjoy my trip to the record shop.

after perusing their cd's for a bit, i found what i was looking for and was pleased to find out both albums were on sale.
i was thinking about checking for something else when suddenly i could feel someone standing behind me.
"you sure got out of the metro in a hurry" says the creep from the metro.
**insert scary knife noise from psycho WEAH! WEAH! WEAH!**
the creep had followed me to the record shop!

creep: can i buy you a cup of coffee?
me: (turns to walk away)
creep: wait wait don't go (fumbling through satchel) 
me: (a moment of hesitation)
creep: (pulls out a small unused notebook) who are you? write down your info.
me: why?
creep: so we can get some coffee sometime.
me: i don't think so (walks to cashier and pays for cds)
creep: (waits by the door)
me: (walks briskly out of the store)
creep: i hope she likes them! (if you remember i was buying a gift for my sister) 
me: she will.

when i get back to the metro, there is an interminable 15 minute wait for the next train in the direction of glenmont.
luckily the creep never showed up and i was able to return to my somewhat normal life only slightly scarred by the experience.

moral of the story.
if you're not traveling with friends, keep your nose in a book and wear headphones at all times while in the metro system.

4 comments:

KWeck said...

this is why "carpe diem" is not a good motto to live by if youre insane. "This kid is interesting" leads to "I'm gonna FOLLOW him!"

K Trues said...

Wait, so why didn't you give him your name and address?

Christine said...

I agree with Kerger. What a friendly guy! You could be having dinner at his house tonight. Want to see a movie and can't find anyone to go with? Call up Creepy man. He'd be at your doorstep in a minute.

*shudder*

Munger said...

did u run into him again?
i think u should seek him out. i would. i make smart decisions. right?